Miyerkules, Disyembre 7, 2011

In Huddle Pacquiao sans his cordon sanitaire

The congressman from Sarangani flashed a wide, boyish grin as he stood to offer his hand.
It must have been the 57th time or so I was introduced to the eight-division world boxing champ, dating back to the 1990s when he was still a practical unknown.
There was a time when I had a lengthy one-on-one interview with him where he talked profoundly about a mystical experience with God that completely changed the course of his life.
Manny said God had spoken to him in one of his lowest moments and had urged him to change his ways if he wanted to receive his blessings.
Still, this time around, he did not recognize me.
“Kamusta,” he said, smiling. “Merry Christmas!”
* * *
A few moments after I arrived at the Harbor View Restaurant near the Quirino Grandstand in Manila where Manny hosted a dinner for select members of the press, Rose Tamayo took my hand and led me to the table occupied by Manny, his wife Jinkee and sports columnist-broadcaster Quinito Henson.
“Let me introduce you to the congressman,” Tamayo offered.
I did not resist. The press boys said she was Manny’s political publicist.
* * *
I deliberately made a late appearance at the affair because I was certain that the boxing superstar would make us wait, as he usually does.
I was surprised therefore to find him already there. He had arrived an hour earlier than I did.
Abante sports editor Virgie Romano said  Manny arrived on time because he had to leave early for another engagement.
Manny was formally dressed in a gray business suit. The boxing icon kept himself busy all night accommodating fans, foreigners included, who wanted to be photographed with him. Libre sports editor Dennis Eroa, who said he had not seen the Pacman “for ages,” admitted he was thrilled to be photographed with him.
* * *
At a little past nine, he stood up to deliver an informal speech.
“Merry Christmas. I hope you enjoyed the food and are all having fun,” he said.
As of last night, he said he could not yet tell who his next opponent would be, or when the fight would be scheduled.

“It could be Floyd Mayweather, (Timothy) Bradley or (Juan Manuel) Marquez, I don’t know,” Manny said.
Bradley was in the undercard of the recent Pacquiao-Marquez III.  He won by TKO over Joel Casamayor to retain his title.
* * *
Manny also talked about some of his plans for Philippine sports.
What I recalled most vividly is his plan to host another P1-million darts tournament next year.
“It will be the biggest darts competition ever, with a guaranteed prize pot of P1 million,” he announced.
The speech, short and sweet, was over in less than 10 minutes. There was no time for Q&A. The Pacquiaos left soon after.

And so last Monday night, I met the man described by the international press as “the greatest boxer in the world” for the 57th time or so. This time, he was more relaxed,  nicer, very accessible and very accommodating.
Perhaps it was because he did not come with his usual big entourage. There was no cordon sanitaire.


Latest on Manny Pacquiao 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento